Wednesday, August 12, 2015

BTG WEEK 8

This week was very busy because it was the last week of rehearsals/tech for "The Club".  Nothing very interesting happened, but it felt like a long week.


Monday July 27, 2015

Today we had rehearsal at Laurin Publishing (because the other apprentices were in the 2nd Musical Monday in our rehearsal space).  It was a typical rehearsal, running blocking and the songs.

After rehearsal we went and did laundry (we literally had no clean clothes left!).  Today was pretty simple.


Tuesday July 28, 2015

We started the day cleaning up music and some blocking.  After lunch we did our first run through with costumes!  It was really cool to get into our coats, trousers, shirts and bow ties.  It is always remarkable how much your movements change once you get into costumes.  It is one of my favorite parts of character development.

After rehearsal we went grocery shopping and worked on the "Even Stephens" Musical Monday material.

Wednesday July 29, 2015 

Another day, another dress rehearsal.  At this point we are trying to clean up all the little "bits" in the show. It is a long a tedious process, but it is very necessary.  Our goal was to finish all the clean up and then run through the show.

At lunch time we went to Ottos with most of the cast members, which is always an enjoyable time.

After lunch we got into full costumes and then proceeded with the run throughs.

When we got home I worked on "The Worst Pies in London" and then proceeded to make a dish called "Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower"  which is exactly what it sounds like.  Cauliflower that is roasted with buffalo sauce on it.  It was amazeballs.  I highly recommend it!

I learned a valuable lesson today.  Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself.  It seems like a no brainer but when it comes down to it, its really hard to do.  Let me explain.

We hadn't had an official rehearsal for the "Even Stephens" Musical Monday in over a month (due to other projects taking precedent).  The other apprentices started rehearsals for it again while we were in rehearsal for "The Club".  Apparently while we were in rehearsal, the musical director gave "Worst Pies" away to another apprentice.  But no one told me about it.  So I continued practicing the song.  One of my friends decided to tell me about the change (because they did not want me to keep practicing it thinking I was going to perform it).  And it totally threw me off guard.  I thought they were joking.  But they were not.  And in that moment I just got so overwhelmed.  Worst Pies was the only thing I had been looking forward to all summer and it had been taken away.  So I did what most young people do when they're upset.  I called my mom.  She told me to call the Musical Director (MD)  and explain to him how much it meant to me, and how much I wanted to sing it.  I felt so embarrassed to do that.  I'm not a complainer and I didn't want to come across that way to the MD.  But I wanted to sing that song so badly.  So I asked my friends for the MD's phone number and I texted him how I was feeling.  And you know what?  He gave the song back to me.  Apparently he didn't thing anyone had actually practiced their songs during the month hiatus, and he totally understood where I was coming from.

So kids, sometimes it is OK to stand up for yourself and for what you want.

Thursday July 30, 2015

Ready in my Wig Cap.
Today was our official Tech day for the club.  We had the entire morning off (which we spent sleeping and then went to this somewhat decent Mexican restaurant in Lee) and had to report to rehearsal at 2pm.  We were starting with our Wigs and mustaches today! We spent about an hour and a half learning how to put up our hair so it would fit under the wigs, and putting the wigs, mustaches, and mutton chops on.  All of our transformations were AMAZING!  We all looked like men.

So we did a run through with the wigs and facial hair, and then we had a dinner break.  Tony bought us all Greek food so we all ate in the theatre in our wig caps.

After the dinner break we did a full run through in costumes and then we went home.

In Full Costume.





Looking Suave. 






















Friday July 31, 2015
Deb Lapidus, Barbara Allen and the girls

















Opening night!!!  We had a run through in the morning and then got to go home to relax for a bit.  We got to the theatre early to prep for opening, and then before we knew it, it was time for places.  The show went great!  What was really exciting was that Olympia Dukakis was in the audience (she's a close friend of our directors).  We socialized at the after party (which are wayyy more fun when you're actually in the show its for) and then went out to meet our friends.  We went to J.Allen's for drinks and then called it a night.  Overall it was an excellent day.


Maggie, me and Olympia Dukakis



Saturday August 1, 2015 

Today was a "relax" day.  Allison (the head of our program) took us out to breakfast as a "Thank You" for filling in last min car parking the week before.  She took us to Haven, a little place in Lennox, which has amazing breakfast.  I had the best blueberry pancakes I think I have ever had in my entire life.

After breakfast we had to do car parking.  Naturally.

But later in the afternoon we got to go to the beach!  My friend Mollie has a beach house in Old Saybrook, CT and her mom hosted us for the weekend.  So we did the two hour drive to the beach.  We were all super happy to break out of Buel house for a couple of days.





















Sunday August 2, 2015

We spent the day sitting on the beach.  We swam, jumped of rocks, went shell hunting.  It was a wonderful relaxing day, which went by way too fast.  Mollie's mom made us dinner, and then we had a bonfire on the beach and made S'mores.  Then we went to bed because we had to wake up early and drive back to Pittsfield.





XOXO,
KATE

No comments:

Post a Comment