Monday, July 13, 2015

BTG WEEK 5

Week 5 went by incredibly fast!  I can't believe we are almost half way done with the program!  Now for the good stuff:

Monday July 6, 2015


We started the week off by having stage fighting class with Tony Simotes.  We learned how to do a round house punch, and the reaction to it.  He also talked to us about why we do theatre, and our purpose for doing theatre.  We later had class with Tara Franklin and more Suzuki training.  Suzuki is kicking my butt.  It hurts my feet.  A lot.  So it is not my favorite thing.  But I am trying to stay positive!    We spent the afternoon doing laundry and food shopping, quite the productive afternoon.  

Tuesday July 7,2015 

Today we had our last Suzuki lesson.  And she kicked our butts.  My core is still hurting from it.  We then had class with Mark, and worked on Kern once again.  We once again had car parking, and I got eaten alive by Mosquitos.  

Sorry my posts are not as exciting!  We are in a routine now, and nothing very exciting is happening right now.  It is all training that would take too much to get into!  But I start rehearsal for "The Club" next week, so I should have some more exciting things to post.  

Wednesday July 8, 2015

Today I was so excited!  Because.....drum roll......My Dad came to visit me!  He called me about a week before and said that he had some business in NYC and wanted to come up and see me. So I was in a very good mood today.  The day also started off with a wig fitting for "The Cub".  It was interesting because in the show all the women play men, so we were getting fitted for men's wigs.   It was very silly, and I now know for sure that I do not look good with a men's haircut from the Edwardian time period!  The funny thing was that even with the wig on, I still looked like a girl (damn you baby cheeks!) so they decided that I will get a mustache! (Yay baby cheeks!)  I think it will be funny to have a mustache. 


Dad and me in front of Buel House 
Anyway, after the wig fitting we had stage fighting class with Tony Simotes.  Today we learned the grappling hold ( I think that is what it is called).  It is when someone "attacks" you from behind, puts their arms around your trunk and hold/grabs the back of your neck.  Then we learned a combo with the stage punch, and grappling hold and then an elbow to the stomach.  His class is a work out, I was very sore the next day from "thrashing" about in the grappling hold.  After Tony's class we had Musical Monday rehearsal with our director Elyn Collier.  Elyn is a directing apprentice this season and has been assigned to director  the Kern Musical Monday.  We blocked several of the songs, and reviewed several others. 

After class I met up with my Dad and Marianne (my grandma!) and we went to dinner at a local Italian restaurant.  Then we hauled ourselves over to Stockbridge to see "Deathtrap" at the Main Campus.  After the show we drove back to Pittsfield and I stayed with them at their motel.  It was a sketchy place, but it was nice to have a private shower and a big bed all to myself!  Also air conditioning.  I forgot what a cool room was like!  And TV! So many things I didn't know I missed until I had them again! 

Thursday July 9, 2015

Dad woke me up early because he had to drive back to Newark,NJ to catch a plane.  So we had a quick breakfast at Ottos (a local breakfast joint) and then him and Marianne dropped me off at Buel house and they were off!  It was a quick visit but I had a great time with them and I was glad I got to share a bit of my life here with them.


7AM breakfast
When I got back to Buel I took a quick nap (yes, it was that early) and then we went off to Musical Monday rehearsal.  I was assigned another piece of music, "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" from Show Boat.  Basically I was given the song, ran through it once and then blocked it.  It was a whirlwind, but I really like the song! :)

We had the rest of the day off, and we spent it napping and relaxing, and practicing our music.  And in the evening we had, once again, car parking.  But we were parking cars in the pouring rain.  And by pouring rain I mean torrential down pour.  I'm starting to believe that after this summer I'll be prepared for anything.

Friday July 10, 2015

We started our morning with Stage Fighting with Tony Simotes.  And we learned the art of the hair pull.  We learned how to do it with two hands and then with one hand.  It was pretty interesting.




Let me direct you to your parking spot.
In the afternoon we had another Masterclass with Kate Maguire.  Since the Bells are Ringing kids were in tech it was just the Poppins and Club casts.  She decided that she wanted to work on Shakespeare monologues.  ( I was unprepared for this since the last time we did contemporary and only 2 people got to go). So when she told me to perform, the only monologue that came to me was Brutus' Oration from "Julius Caesar", a monologue which I have not touched in over a year.  So when I went up and started I got about three lines in and totally spaced.  Completely spaced.  I started again and once again spaced.  (I believe that I said something along the lines of "Romans, Countrymen, and Lovers.  Hear me for my Cause and be silent for what you oh SHUT UP"  I was so embarrassed!  Kate then had me grab my phone to look up the words, and worked with me to drop my breath in so I could drop my voice down. Once I did that, BAM! The speech came back to me!  It was like Magic!  And then I kicked butt! ;)  A little humiliation now and then is good for the soul, right?  This was the first day where we really got to see each other's acting abilities, and let me tell you, we are a talented group.

Later I had car parking again (not in the rain this time!) and then we met Christian, Eleanor and Mollie at Patricks Pub for dinner/ a drink.  It was a fun evening!

Saturday July 11, 2015

So Saturday was technically our day off, but we had to go to  Safety Training.  "Thoreau, or Return to Walden" closed on Saturday and we had to help with strike.  So this training session was about how to be safe.  And it lasted 5 min!  But it was stuff we all have done before so it was nothing new to us.

We had Car parking in the afternoon (naturally) and then went home to get dressed for the opening night of "Bells are Ringing".  The show was very cute and I think we all enjoyed it.  After the show was the opening night party. I left early because we had to be in Stockbridge at 8am!  Once home, Eleanor and I found ourselves home alone, so we ordered Pizza and watched the pilot episode of Hannibal.  Then we realized it was 2AM and had to rest up for the work day.

Sunday July 12, 2015




Dead after strike.
So we woke up very early so we could get to Stockbridge on time.  We had an 8 hour work day scheduled.  We first did two hours of striking the set of Thoreau, which involved throwing away bits of foam, lugging big rocks and bricks from the theatre to the scene shop, and sweeping the stage clear of debris.  Then the electrics crew came in and we helped them strike the lights from Thoreau, and helped them hang the new plot for the next show, "I saw my neighbor on the train and I didn't even smile".  And by helping hang lights I mean, move the ladder for the electricians, and bracing it so it doesn't fall, and grabbing various light fixtures and gels.  It was 6 hours of this very tedious work.  We were all exhausted at the end, and veged out for the rest of the afternoon.
Don't make me move anymore! 





















More to come next week!

XOXO,
Kate








No comments:

Post a Comment