Monday, June 15, 2015

Brief Catch Up

Hello Blog Universe!


It has been quite some time since I last posted, so here is a brief catch-up on my life.

I graduated from college! (but you already knew that from my last post)  I spent the 6 weeks following college working for the wonderful Blank Theatre Company in Hollywood,CA as an apprentice for their 22nd Annual Young Playwrights Festival.  Those six weeks were crazy busy but very rewarding. I met many wonderful people, and had to fortune to work with "big names" in the LA theatre scene such as Daniel Henning, Michael Matthews and Barbara Bain, as well as many other crazy talented people.

Directly following that apprenticeship I stayed with The Blank Theatre as an Arts Administration and Producing Intern.  With that job I learned what it takes to put on live theatre in the Los Angeles community.  I also got to work closely with the theatre's producer, Sarah Allyn Bauer, who started out as a boss/mentor for me, and now I'm lucky to call her a friend.  I was also asked to be an Associate Producer on two of their main stage productions, "The Why" and "Sons of the Prophet" (Sons was extended TWICE.  We opened February 8th and wrapped on May 18th; it was quite the ride!)  as well as a workshop of a new play, "Knockout Mouse".  Through this experience I learned that producing really isn't my cup of tea, but I now have a huge respect for all the producers out there!


So between all of this, I actually needed to make some money.  I stumbled into two fantastic part time jobs, one as an Office Assistant at a private school in Thousand Oaks, and one as a Sales Associate at the Kate Spade Outlet.  I had so much fun working for these two employers and I have learned so much about me and life through them.

And in between all of that, I was accepted into the training program of The Groundlings School of Improv and Comedy in Hollywood.  Improv is a skill I NEVER thought I would do, so I was quite surprised to find myself in the training process of one of the best improv schools in the country.

Finally, in May I competed for and WON the Miss Moorpark Pageant!  I won top talent, top academics, and top interview.  It was quite the night for me!


In April I found out that I was accepted in the Berkshire Theatre Group's Acting Apprenticeship.  That means I will move the Pittsfield, Massachussetts for 12 weeks this summer.  It is an intensive musical theatre apprenticeship.  I will train with 14 other college aged students from the best of the best of broadway directors, dancers, and musical directors!  I am so excited!

More to come,

XOXO
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment