Thursday, November 18, 2010

feet. :/

So today, I did something I've never done something my entire life.  I quit an activity without seeing it through to the end.  I quit crew.  It was not  because I could not handle the workout, or I did not have the endurance or I did not like waking up at 4:50 in the morning.  It was because of my feet.  I have a condition called flat feet, or for those of you who do not know what that is, I do not have arches in my feet, so they pronate inward, causing pain like no other. I lived seventeen and a half years (of my 18) with pain. every. single. day.  I have a HUGE tolerance for pain, thanks to that. I have had two surgeries on my feet because of this condition and has only been in the last six months that I have not had pain. Which is a big deal.  
When I started crew, I did not think that I would have this issue since I'd be sitting in a boat, but it ended up being one.  The combination of the position of my feet, with the pressure I had to put on them while I rowed brought back the pain that I had thought I had ditched.  I tried to stick it out, but I realized that its not worth having the pain again.  I liked not having pain, not having the constant reminder of my defect, and when it came back I was super upset.  I called my mom this morning crying because I did  not want to quit, but I did not want to have the pain anymore.  We decided that in the long run, quitting would be better for me.
I actually liked being on a team for once, having a coach, having teammates, entering regattas, winning or losing at something.  I've never really had that experience, because of my feet.  I had to stop soccer because running hurt my feet and my knees, I had to quit dance because my feet hurt and the teacher did not understand.  My feet have dictated to me my athletic life, and sometimes I wish I had feet that were normal.  I want to be on a team, I want to be in shape, I want to be athletic. But my "disability" has prevented me from doing that stuff my entire life.  

People around me do not understand what I go through on a daily basis, my family understands to some extent, but they will never comprehend what I go through.  Other people I meet who have flat feet do not understand because their condition is not as severe as mine.  Even my podiatrist said that I had the worse case he had ever seen.  Though I wish I was born without this defect, I would not have my life any other way.  I know my feet have made me discover things about myself, and things that you do not think about that often.  I value every step I take, because these feet have taught me some valuable lessons.

I am really sad that I had to quit another sport due to this.  I liked crew, and I feel like I could have been good at it.  But I got a taste of a pain free life, and I want to indulge myself on it,  I know someday I'll find a sport or an athletic activity that I will be able to do.  I hope my teammates go on to have a wonderful season, and I'll be rooting for them all the way.

XOXO,
Kate

1 comment:

  1. It's true I have never seen you quit at something no matter how horrific a situation is. I have been hard-core thinking about this. I was and still am so proud of you for joining crew. Having to wake up at 4:50 am makes me think your a little physco but still I admire you for your constant persistence.

    ***Swimming*** Before you knew me I used to swim competitively. Going to meets, hanging out in tents before your race, receiving tips from more experience swimmers and going to dinner afterwards or getting food in between made swimming feel like a team sport.

    ReplyDelete